Communication Skills is a term used to describe a broad set of skills needed to achieve two simple objective - To transmit to oneself or someone else information with the required interpretation and understanding and having yourself or that person feel they way you want them to feel in the process.
10 basic disciplines to master good communication skills are as follow:
1. Choose someone you think has good communication skills and imitate them till you master his or her skill. Then find another person with even better communication skills and raise your level even higher.
2. Hang out with people who have good communication skills. Hanging out with any lesser kind will have a negative impact on your communication skills.
3. Practice Oratory. Everyday, select a word or a sentence(eg news headlines) and talk to your self for 5 mins on that topic or anything related to it. The objective here is to be creative and spontaneous.
4. Read any book you lay your eyes on which will help you only get better.
5. When you are at public places, increase your sensory acuity by noticing peoples body language, lip-reading, and observing they behavior ie the way they interact with other people. Those very skills will help you analyze those you communicate with.
6. Set the objective to be nice to every person you meet, no matter what their attitude towards you is. Attitude is contagious.
7. Set the objective of every meeting, even if you meet a person unexpectedly.
If you are meeting a friend just to hand out, ask yourself "how do i want to feel at the end of it? How do i want to make my friend feel?" If you want to have fun - say it "For the next hour, i just want to have fun"
8. When communicating with a single person or a group, let the other person talk (and you listen) most of the time. People like to hear but love to be heard.
9. Good Communication Skills begin at home. Therefore, the previous 3 steps must first be applied while communicating with family members.
10. Before going to bed, take a minute and review the day. How well did you communicate with people today? How could you have improved the response/result?
Success is a few daily disciplines practiced everyday, so practice these steps daily and in few weeks you'll find vast improvements in the way people respond to you.