An environment-friendly home can have great decor in addition to helping save the planet. There are a few general guidelines to keep in mind when making choices for a green home.
* Pick organic textiles and fabrics, like organic cotton, linen, hemp, bamboo, abaca and wool.
* Antique furniture is best. Otherwise, seek furniture made of reclaimed lumber, wood from managed forests, and recycled materials. Fast-growing and renewable wood sources such as bamboo are also good choices.
* Water-based finishes are more environmentally sound than most varnishes, lacquers and shellacs.
* Buy durable furnishings and decor to reduce waste that will end up in a landfill.
* Recycle or re-purpose products. You can even turn junk into home decor.
* Local products reduce the carbon footprint through reduced shipping.
* Use less leather, which is typically imported and thus shipped a long distance.
* If installing new floors, use recycled or natural products like bamboo.
* Keep electronics as long as possible. If you really have to upgrade, donate your old electronics.